The writing paper is not as simple as using pretty words to make nice sentences. There are very clear instructions for each section and you must follow all of the instructions to receive a good mark. Below are my tips for the two parts.
Cambridge English: First (FCE) Writing Part 1
- You are required to complete the task in Part 1. You will write an essay.
- You will be given a topic and some points to include in your answer. You will also be asked to include one of your own ideas. Read the question carefully and be sure to use the required information.
- Write a short introduction and conclusion and use one paragraph for each of the notes. This will help you keep your essay clear and organized.
- Use a formal or neutral style, imagine you are writing an essay for your teacher.
- Write between 140-190 words.
- Take 5 minutes to read your essay again and check for grammar and spelling errors.
Cambridge English: First (FCE) Writing Part 2
- You have a choice of tasks in Part 2. You must choose one of the tasks to complete.
- You will be able to choose from a number of different subjects and several formats of writing. You might write an article, an email/letter, a report or a review.
- Read the question carefully and underline the main task (usually the task will have two or three parts). This will help you be sure you answer the question completely.
- Decide what tone you need to use. Is this a letter to a friend? Is it a letter to a business? Is it an article for a magazine? Is it an essay for a teacher? Should you be formal or informal?
- Make a plan before you begin writing. Make some notes so that you don’t forget any of your ideas when you are concentrating on the language.